Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to kiptech@earthlink.net stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

smudge line every 21"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 8000 Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: smudge line every 21" Reply with quote Back to top

Everything points to the drum, but I've replaced the drum and still getting the light toner smudge from left to right. Swapped out T/S assy, cleaned charge assy, replaced Dev. unit, eraser lamps and cleaning roller on drum but still getting smudge every 21". Not a very solid line, more like a heavy haze on the paper. EVerything swapped out or new. Anymore ideas.

CHILLIN
doctor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Could there be a damaged tooth on the drum drive somewhere (drum ring gear), causing a skip in the drive of the drum?

james
resident

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds like a drum problem (22" defect). When you replaced the drum, was it with a new drum?

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yup, new drum, still got the smudge. I thought it might be a delay or pause in the drum rotation causing it, but the actual image where the smudge occurs is good. If it is getting stuck on something I believe the image would be skewed also. Will keep you posted.

Shyloh
medical school grad

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Can u post a picture of the "smudge"? might help with the troubleshooting.

KIPDOCTOR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I would suspect something to do with drum drive.

gzspark61
medical school senior

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Please service your cutter assy.

The delay of the roll drawer clutches could cause a pause.

Is there a problem with #1 #2 ect. drawer causing this problem?

If you have a 1200 auto stacker and all is ok
do not touch the settings there.

Look to feeding of media through to delivery of media...
Sounds to me it's feeding that might be the problem.

Good Luck and let us know what you find.

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Now getting repeat image every 21". Replaced Dev. Unit, drum, T/S assembly, Pre-transfer lamps, cleaning roller and cleaned cutter unit. Only thing I haven't replaced are the lamps behind the cleaning roller and charge assy. Replaced all the part above and still getting same image issue. Runs good for about 5 prints, then starts repeating like crazy.

james
resident

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Have you tried adjusting charge grid current (401B) down or up to see if it makes any difference?

cjwilt
doctor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Something I always look at for repeat image on the drum is the HV cables that supply power to the T/S unit. In older machines that have been used a lot, the cables tend to ach and cause transfer problems.

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

James: How would you go abouts adjusting the charge grid current? Maybe I'm wrong, but does the Charge Corona cause repeats?

cjwilt: I'be been leaning towards the plastic block and HV wires of the T/S unit. I think I have a couple of them, I should probably replace them.

james
resident

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I adjust the Grid current as drums get older. So I usually will check the setting when new drums are installed and adjust the setting to a new drum. Over the live of the drum it may take just a small current tweak to get a machine to produce improved prints.

I use Kip diagonostic remote to adjust all the settings (charge, image placement, etc...). You can also use the front panel to make these adjustments.

I thought you had already replaced the T/S assy. I replace the end blocks all the time. I've had similar issues when the wires were too high/low also.

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks.. I will check these.

Also, I've replaced the T/S assy. What I was referring to was the TR Connection Block that is located on the inside of the transport assy. This I have not replaced, but will be doing soon.

CHILLIN
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I thought of something else you might want to check. I had an 8000 that was giving me a weird smudge on the prints and a haze on the prints. You might want to check the bias connectors. The ones that when you push the process unit back into the machine they are the posts on the inside wall of the printer that provide the dev bias. I had one of the housing for the post crack and was touching intermittently to the developer roller. I looked good but they are spring loaded and when I pushed it in I saw the problem.

Good luck.

Jay
intern

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

We had the smudge problem just yesterday. It probably wont help you since you replaced the drum, but it might help others. We found a few bare metal spots on the drum that were arcing to the cleaning roller. This caused a smudge every print.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 8000 Discussions All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: